PET scanning is a nuclear medicine imaging device, which focuses of physiological functions of the tissue cells. The technology is used for diagnosis of cancer, heart disease and brain disorder. There are several options for Low cost PET scanning and low cost CT scan abroad. At most of the international medical tourism destinations full body CT scan costs are one-third the cost in United States. For whole body PET scanning, Turkey is becoming increasing preferred. PET scan costs in Jordan are highly affordable while Whole body PET scan in South Korea, is considered to be the cheapest in that region. Americans are taking the advantage of low cost imaging services at different international locations which include CT scan, India and Full body scan, Mexico.
What is PET scan?
PET scan is frequently used in nuclear medicine as an imaging device, which demonstrates the basic physiological functions of the cells under the study, whilst primarily focusing on metabolism. On the other hand, a Whole Body Positron Emission Tomography and Computed Tomography (PET/CT scan) is a combined imaging technique which incorporates the nuclear imaging abilities of PET scan with CT scan, which in turn provides information about the basic anatomical structure, shape and size of the cells under study. This technology is highly advanced and is available only at few of the best and leading hospitals across the world.
What does the PET scan do?
PET CT scan perform the essential imaging functions and are hence of immense utility for the detection of certain disease conditions. This imaging technology is used for the following,
- Detecting cancer and determining the expanse of spread of the tumor cells throughout the body
- Mapping the functioning of the human brain and the heart along with analyzing the quality of blood flowing across these organs. This helps to evaluate and study the effects of myocardial infarction and ischemia on the patient after cardiac surgery
- The imaging technology is also used to determine the management protocol for various brain abnormalities, central nervous disorders and seizures.
Advantage of combined imaging modality of Positron Emission Tomography and Computed Tomography (PET/CT) over Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- There have been several studies published which have indicated that a PET/CT is more effective in determining the extent and spread of malignancies compared to a whole body MRI.
- The MRI views the internal organs, in a three dimensional format, so that the structural attributes are clearly visible. A PET/CT machine combines nuclear imaging capabilities which not only allow viewing of structural attributes but also the functional attributes i.e. the metabolic activities of the internal cells and tissues.
- The PET/CT scan imaging has a significant advantage over the MRI as the functional metabolic information helps the physician to determine and appropriately stage the malignancies.
The philosophy of Positron Emission Tomography- Computed Tomography
In a PET scan imaging technique, a radioactive material called the radiotracer is injected into the body, which accumulates around the organ which has to be examined. The tracer releases gamma rays (which are detected by a gamma camera), and provide details of the internal organs and upon the metabolic or chemical activity. The concentration of the radioactive material depends upon the metabolic activity, hence helps staging and identifies the correct location of the tumor.