If you just booked an Air Asia, Cebu Pacific or Tiger Airways promo fare from Clark Airport, you may choose to add a day or two when you get back from your destination! Why, you ask? Because Clark Airport is located in Pampanga, a destination that has a lot to offer! Here are some ideas:
Factory outlet shopping. Unknown to many, Pampanga – specifically Angeles – is home to many factory outlet shops. Most of these outlet shops can be found in Robinson’s Starmills in Angeles.
Dining. Pampanga is hands down the best place to try Filipino food. In fact, it is hailed as the culinary capital of the Philippines. There’s something in the way they cook food that I can’t point my finger to. So take note of the following restaurants; try out their delicious food for lunch or snacks before you head on the airport, or go on a full-blast food trip when you get back.
- Everybody’s Cafe, for those who want some exotic food like stuffed frogs and crickets (camaru)
- Aling Lucing’s, for a taste of the original sisig
- Historic Camalig Restaurant (yes, that’s the complete name), for an interesting Kapampangan take on pizza
- Razon’s, for the halo-halo (it’s a dessert made of sweet ingredients topped with milk and ice)
- Bale Dutung, for a satisfying meal worthy of Anthony Bourdain’s visit (this is where Claude Tayag brought the celebrity traveler/chef)
Exploring. Every trip to any Philippine destination isn’t complete without marveling at its natural beauty. In Pampanga, you can try the following activities. Just make sure that you don’t forget to board your plane:
- Mt. Pinatubo Sky Tour. If you’re already in Pampanga, this is one thing you should try. It’s Php4,500 per person, regardless of the number of people because they have different plane sizes. It is on the pricey side, but rest assured that the view from the crater is worth it.
- Horseback riding at El Kabayo Equestrian Center. If you enjoyed watching western movies, then you will definitely like this place. The facility, a replica of an old western town taken out of an old American cowboy movie, provides a backdrop for horseback riding. You will find quality horses in here, as these animals are retired horses from horse sports or the show circuit, with some even imported from other countries.
There are a lot more things you can do in Pampanga and around the Clark Airport area. As I said, it’s a destination in itself. You can have a food trip, nature trip and shopping trip, and it will surely take you more than a day. So next time you snag one of those cheap flights that board at the Clark Airport, make sure you spare an additional day or two.