Milan is situated on the flat plains of the Po Valley, and is the capital of Lombardy. It is Italy’s richest and second largest city. The city is the business heart of Italy. It has been rebuilt many times. It is one of the major financial and business centres of the world. The city is the seat of the Italian Stock Exchange the Borsa Italiana Piazza Affari.
The Milanesi’s appreciation of tradition includes a singular respect for religion, they pay a special tax towards the cathedral maintenance. It is there fore fitting that the city’s symbol is the gilded statue of the Virgin, on top of the cathedral.
Milan is a city of money. The city is renowned as one of the world capitals of design and fashion. The English word milliner is derived from the name of the city.
Every top designer name can be found on, Sants Andrea, Montenapoleone and della Spigaand Manzoni, with Gucci, Vuitton and Tods having taken up residence in the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele. This is where the original Prada store has been since 1913.
Shopping is of quasi-religious significance. The biggest shopping-street in Milan is the Corso Buenos Aires. It is definitely not the place for the cheapest shopping. The flea markets are normally every where in Milan. There are normally opens on Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday.
The Milan fashion shows, are from late February and late September for women wear and late-June and mid January for the menswear.
The Milanese cuisine includes cotoletta alla milanese, a fried veal fillet in bread crumbs.
The nightlife in the city is vibrant. The evening begins with the passegiata, a cultural institution itself in Italy, where everyone, attired in the smartest clothes. The trend is to move on during the night, visiting two or three locals, thereby demonstrating social savvy and bellafigura being with it is perhaps the best expression. Most bars and restaurants stay open until late. There are no licensed casinos in Milan.
In the church of Santa Maria della Grazie is Leonardo’s Last Supper. One of the most striking monuments of Lombard Renaissance. The Church was built between 1466 and 1490 under the direction of Guiniforte Solari. Inside of the church with a double series of side chapels highlights the Solari’s Gothic background just as the arcades on the two rows of columns. The vaults bear frescoed decorations dating from the birth of the building, rediscovered after they had been hidden in 600.