The extent of travel in this day and age is unprecedented. There are countless reasons why people travel to varied destinations throughout the world. With such increase in global travel, no disease is beyond the reach of any population. Many people, who are unaware of the vaccine recommendations for travel, expose themselves to substantial risks by traveling unprotected.
Most of the diseases prevalent in developing countries are food and water-borne, making them easily transmissible to visitors. Travel Vaccination plays a vital role not only in limiting the morbidity of travel-related illnesses but also in limiting the spread of diseases. The role of a Travel Vaccination Clinic is to provide travelers with expert advice regarding the potential hazards of the countries they are visiting, and to minimize the inherent risks through forward planning and appropriate preventive measures.
A Travel Clinic in New York City provides specialized counseling and Travel Immunizations necessary for a safe travel. The Travel Shots that are administered depend upon traveler’s particular destination, length of trip, health status, and planned activities. The following vaccinations are given for international travel:
- Hepatitis A vaccine is given to people travelling to the Indian subcontinent, Far East, and Eastern Europe, particularly in areas where sanitation and food hygiene are poor. Hepatitis B Vaccine is given to travelers visiting South-East Asia, the Middle and Far East, Southern Europe and Africa.
- Typhoid Vaccination is recommended for travelers visiting South Asia, parts of South East Asia, the Middle East, Central & South America, and Africa, especially in areas where sanitary conditions are uncertain.
- Japanese Encephalitis Vaccine is recommended for travelers visiting South East Asia, Indian subcontinent, the Far East and tropical North East Australia, especially the rural areas.
- Yellow Fever Vaccine is given to travelers visiting West and Central Africa, and parts of South America.
- Meningococcal Meningitis vaccine is recommended for travelers visiting Central African Republic, Ethiopia, Saudi Arabia, Kenya, Tanzania, Somalia etc.
- Rabies Vaccine is given to people in close association with animals, like veterinarians and animal handlers.
- Flu Shots are recommended for people who are likely to become ill with flu or influenza that spreads by coughing, sneezing, or nasal secretions.
As people are developing heightened interests for adventure travel, international destinations and ecotourism, more patients return from vacations with presentations of possible exotic disease that are beyond the scope of an emergency physician’s daily practice. A Travel Doctor NYC can provide the much-needed pre-travel education, as well as the necessary prophylactic treatment that can prevent any unfavorable incidences.
So before you venture out, create the body armor that makes your travel, safe, stimulating and fulfilling!