In general, piers are the vertical support for a structure but in some cases different types of columns and sections of structural walls which carries the load of a structure. Treated timber, masonry or concrete is commonly used to made piers and then installed into prepared holes or shafts. Piers can handle a greater load than piles and gives more stability, durability, and longevity to structures.
Different types of piers used in foundation repairs
There are mainly three different types of piers used in foundation repairs:
- Steel Piers: These piers are bend to an extent so that it can develop frictional resistance which may prevent future instability or failure. These piers have an oversized collar at the bottom to bear more weight at the end.
- Pressed Pilings: This one is a short term solution to a long term problem. These are friction piers which were pressed into the ground by using the weight of the house. Pressed pilings are only 8 to 10 feet deep and don’t reach past the active soil.
- Reinforced Concrete Mini-Piles: These are also friction piers,but a pile driver or very small drill rig is used to put it into the ground. It goes way deeper than the other type of friction piers because of which it lasts longer.
Benefits of pier foundation
However, the cost of pier foundation repair depends on the amount of damage and method used to repair it; you can try Level Home Foundation Repairfor best services in lowest price guaranteed.
Pier foundation is beneficial in many ways such as:
- This method is easy and not requires much labor and material.
- Can save you a decent amount of money on repairs.
- You can increase its bearing capacity.
- Can save your house from the flood because it lifts the house above the ground.